If you would like to submit a complaint about something you’ve seen that is promoting unproven healthcare products or services, but you’re not sure how to go about it, please check out one of our handy guides to help you:

Medical Services

If you or somebody you know has been affected by a health practitioner offering a product or service that was not evidence based, you can complain to the Health & Disability Commissioner.


For advertisements, in any medium, if there are unsupported claims being made you can complain to the Advertising Standards Authority. If the issue is serious, or covers many products or services, you can complain to MedSafe. You can also complain to the Commerce Commission.

TV Programmes

For the content of TV programmes (not TV advertisements), if a programme showed a lack of balance you can complain to the Broadcasting Standards Authority.


For newspaper or magazine articles, if there was a lack of balance in an article and balance hasn’t been given elsewhere, you can complain to the Press Council.


For doctors, if they are offering services that are not evidence based, you can complain to the Medical Council.


For pharmacies and pharmacists that are not complying with the Pharmacy Council’s codes, you can complain to the Pharmacy Council.


For veterinarians who are acting unethically, you can complain to the Veterinary Council.